Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Roasted vegetable season!

Tis the season... to roast all veggies!
Well, maybe not always, but it is happening with astonishing regularity chez moi these days. It's easy, not requiring much attention once the veggies are in the oven, warm (crucial on these cold Seattle days) and delicious. I'll happily make a meal of roasted vegetables just by themselves, though they feature heavily as a side dish on my winter menu.
My newest vegetable roasting passion comes courtesy of Deb at Smitten Kitchen--It is so easy, I can't believe that I haven't been doing it all along! For the original recipe: http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/10/cumin-seed-roasted-cauliflower-with-yogurt/

I follow the recipe pretty loosely, which is easy to do as things as simple as this will really come down to personal taste. I've made it with ground cumin and cumin seeds, and can vouch for its deliciousness either way but something about the seeds really did kick it up a notch, so I recommend investing in some cumin seeds if you don't already have them (try buying spices in bulk, as it is pretty inexpensive that way).


Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large head cauliflower1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Plain yogurt (I used nonfat)
Chopped fresh mint leaves, for serving (this would be delicious, but I skipped it because I didn't feel like buying mint)
Pomegranate seeds, for serving

Once you've assembled all of your ingredients, it is simple--cut the cauliflower into bite-sized or at least more manageable pieces, drizzle lightly with olive oil, sprinke with salt, pepper, and cumin seeds, then roast at 425 for 20-30 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender.

Serve with a big spoonful or two of yogurt and a liberal showering of pomegranate seeds for color and a bright burst of flavor. Enjoy. YUM.

1 comment:

  1. I.LOVE.THIS!

    I've done this before too, and you can totally have it as a side or main dish. Delicious-and so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete